Saturday, January 12, 2008

She who remembers

While I was making something to eat, (can't call it dinner) my mind started to wandering about things in my childhood thus the title for the day.

I remember living on the ranch when I was about three. Mom had disappeared into the outhouse up on the hill. She was gone for a long time and I started wondering why she didn't come back. When I went out the door the rooster attacked me. I still remember the peck marks on my chest. Is it any wonder that I have no compunction about killing chickens?
I remember the holes in the ground after the big fire that came through and burned out the stumps. Our milk cow got trapped in a hole and they couldn't get her out so Dad felt he had to shoot her. I think the buried her in the hole. All I really remember is that they wouldn't let me watch and I felt very scared.

I don't remember moving to the Ranger Station but those are my next memories. Dad said I pushed my little sister down the stairs but I don't remember doing that although I do remember playing with my dollies and pretending that one of them was her and I was trying to poison her by feeding the dolly things that weren't good for one to eat all at the same time.
She almost managed to poison herself by putting gasoline in our toy cups and drinking it.

More later.

MY daughter had to work tonight so my dinner was a loaded baked potato and the leftover rum form Christmas mixed with Juicy Juice. Don't ask.

No comments: